Monday, December 22, 2008

Quadrupedal ANN Architecture

I was reading "Quadrupedal Locomotion: GasNets, CTRNNs and Hybrid CTRNN/PNNs Compared" by Gary McHale and Phil Husbands. In the Experimental Setup section the description of ANN architecture is a bit vague. I tried to visualize the Table2 as follows:



It seems a bit funny, but it is enough for our discussion.

The table is as below:



The problem comes when you consider this table wich shows the connection of sensory nodes with other nodes:



From the image above the connection between the sensory nodes and the mootor nodes are clear, but what are the nodes 1, 5, 9, 13. I'm not sure how the missing nodes are used.



2 comments:

  1. I guess there are totally 8 motor neurons, 4 sensor neurons and 4 intermediate neurons. Each sensor should be connected to one motor and one intermediate node.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but the thing that I don't understand is about the connections. For example according to Table1 the Right Rear Sensor is connected to Motor 0, why not to motor 2?

    I think it is because the fact that hip muscles(motors) are more effective in movement than knee muscles. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete